The end of the Jeph Loeb run era of Marvel TV is here! You’d hardly even know this was a new Marvel show, as our first look at the new show had no Marvel logo insight. Instead, Helstrom is solely billed as a Hulu Original. You can watch our very first trailer for Damien Helstrom’s adventure down below.
It certainly seems to be sticking to its promise of providing us with a dark and horror-esque tale. Hulu’s official synopsis tells us that the show is about Daimon and Ana Helstrom–the son and daughter of a mysterious and powerful serial killer–who have a complicated dynamic that they must navigate as they track down the terrorizing worst of humanity.
Showrunner/Executive Producer Paul Zbyszewski was on hand to give us more insight into the show. While taking direct inspiration from the comics, he made it clear that it was its own unique and different take. This version is grounded a little bit more in the real world than its comic counterpart. At its very core, it’s a family story. Family is the key repeating element of everything. It’s about the family that we are born with, and the family we create.
On top of Showrunner/Executive Producer Paul Zbyszewski, the cast attending the panel included Tom Austen (Damien Helstrom), Sydney Lemmon (Ana Helstrom), Elizabeth Marvel (Victoria Helstrom), Robert Wilson (The Caretaker), Ariana Guerra (Gabriella Rosetti), June Carryl (Dr. Louis Hastings), and Alain Uy (Chris Yen).
Even with the whole cast in attendance, specific details on the show were still slim. That’s not to say that we didn’t learn anything though! Let’s go over some highlights:
- Both Damien and Ana Helstrom will have superpowers on a display of some sort. The siblings will start out in separate situations but come back together at some point.
- Their mother, Victoria Helstrom, is a patient in a mental institution. She is seemingly possessed by something evil–what that thing remains unclear. Elizabeth Marvel worked on a specific deep voice for parts of her role that even startled other cast and crew members when it was on display.
- Robert Wilson’s The Caretaker is vastly different than his comic book counterpart, so don’t expect a direct adaption of the character.
- Dr. Louis Hastings inherits a patient (while not named, it is inferred to be Victoria Helstrom) that she is not quite prepared for.
- Alain Uy’s story is intertwined with Ana Helstrom’s. The two originally met in foster care.
- Damien Helstrom has someone entangled in his story as well in the form of Ariana Guerra. Besides knowing that the two are involved in each other’s paths, not much else was revealed.
- There are plenty of easter eggs stuffed throughout the show.
You can check out the full panel below if you want to meet the cast, and see more of who will bring this story to life.