450 gr all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
A pinch of salt
225 gr butter
225 gr light brown sugar
450 gr golden raisins (sultanas) or raisins or a mixture of both
75 gr chopped candied peel
1 bottle porter or stout
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
2. Line the sides and bottom of an 8inch/20cm high-sided round cake pan with waxed (grease proof) paper.
3. Sift the flour, nutmeg, spice, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
4. Rub in the butter, then stir in the brown sugar, raisins, and candied peel.
5. Whisk the eggs in another bowl and add the porter.
6. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
8. Bake for about 2 hours. If the cake starts to brown too quickly on top, cover it with aluminium foil after about an hour. The cake is done when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9. Allow the cake to sit in the pan for about 20 minutes before turning it out and cooling it on a wire rack.