For this weeks TGON Bakes, we go all the way back to Season 5 of The Walking Dead. More precisely Episode 13 in which Carol is being caught by a kid who just wants her to bake more cookies when stealing guns. Carol frightens him into silence by outlining two options. If he tells his mother, he will wake up one morning to discover that he is outside the gates, tied to a tree for the walkers to find. Alternatively, he can choose to be quiet, and get the cookies.
These cookies are perfect in preparation for the second half of the 8th season starting on Feb 25, 2018. Guess that is enough time to perfect your cookie baking skills!
64 gr applesauce
1/4 large chocolate bar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
51 gr shortening
140 gr flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
55 gr brown sugar
50 gr white sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
How to bake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, shortening, brown sugar and white sugar and mix until the shortening is well blended with the rest.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, flour, salt and vanilla.
- Mix until the flour is well, incorporated and it starts to feel more like dough.
- Let the dough stand for a couple of minutes, around three to four minutes.
- Melt the chocolate, preferably using the Au bain-marie method.
- Add the chocolate to the dough, and mix until fully blended.
- Place golf ball sized dollops of dough, 2 inches apart, on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 11 to 13 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the cookie sheet.