Fans came into the panel expecting only news on the upcoming Netflix series The Defenders, but there were a lot more surprises in store! I’ll be going through some of the major highlights.
- The biggest challenge of forming the series was to honor all four heroes respectively, while making The Defenders a new and fresh world.
- Elektra’s role in The Defenders will be as Alexandra’s, Sigourney Weaver’s character, puppet. She is amnesic and remembers nothing of Season 2 of Daredevil. She is simply a weapon for Alexandra’s purposes.
- Jessica Jones doesn’t really want to help the others at first, but she eventually grows to them and rises to the occasion. This doesn’t mean she stops taking pot shots at them, however.
- Colleen and Danny are initially not in NY at the beginning of the series. Seeing as the end of Iron Fist had them at the entrance to K’un-Lun, there might be more of an explanation about what happened for the gateway to be destroyed.
- Danny will also grow up more in The Defenders, which is a good thing in my eyes. He was too childish and reckless in Iron Fist, despite having trained at K’un-Lun for years.
- Besides new on The Defenders, there was also a surprise appearance by Jon Bernthal in promotion of The Punisher.
- A clip was shown for the series, which was described by Mashable with the following:
“The clip opened with a shot of Frank Castle in happier times, teaching his young daughter to play guitar. In the present, he’s strumming the guitar all alone and looking very, very sad about it. Cut to some of Frank’s recent adventures: running down bikers in rural Alabama, taking out drug cartels via sniper rifle in Juárez, strangling a man to death in an airport bathroom in New York City.
The last of those men pleads for his life in his final moments. “Please, you’ve killed everyone. The bikers, the cartels, the Cajuns, the Irish, they’re all gone,” he cries. “What’s it going to change if I’m dead?” Frank looks at him impassively. “Nothing.”
Once he’s choked the man out, Frank struts out of the bathroom in a black hoodie and leather duster over his Punisher-logo vest. It’s a hero shot, but a grim, dark one.
- Karen Page will be appearing in both The Defenders and The Punisher. The relationship between her and Frank Castle was established in Season 2 of Daredevil, so this isn’t much of a surprise.
- A release date for The Punisher was not given, but it’s still slated for this year.
- It was confirmed that not only are Season 2 of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones currently in production, but Iron Fist will be getting a Season 2 and Daredevil a Season 3 as well. Bet that’s surprising news to a lot of people, hopefully Scott Buck isn’t involved now that he’s busy with Inhumans.
- Season 2 of Iron Fist will bring Misty Knight of Luke Cage into the fold as well. Daughters of the Dragon introduction perhaps?
A new trailer for The Defenders was shown as well as the first episode of the series, but we obviously didn’t get the latter…damn you lucky SDCC attendants!
The Defenders will premiere August 18, 2017, exclusively on Netflix.