Unpacking, the newest release from Humble Games, has taken the internet by storm. This is a zen puzzle game “about the familiar experience of pulling possessions out of boxes and fitting them into a new home”. This game is part block-fitting puzzle, part home decoration, and perfect for the kind of players that enjoy sitting and relaxing with a game.
However, something that makes Unpacking unique is the hidden story. Between eight different moves, the player can discover the story and life of a character they never see and never hear. It’s a story you’re never told, left entirely up for players to interpret.
There’s been a rise in popularity of games that center themselves around slow progressions, like Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley. There has also been an interest in apps and games that help practice mindfulness and self-care. It comes as no surprise then that Unpacking has already been nominated for numerous rewards, such as Game of The Year by the Australian Game Developer Awards 2021.
Other features include:
- Unpack a home — from a single bedroom to an entire house.
- Meditative gameplay with no timers, meters or scores.
- Explore domestic environments with all their nooks and crannies while you stack plates, hang towels, and arrange bookshelves.
- Discover a character’s story through the items that come with her to each new home (and the items that get left behind).
- Soundtrack by BAFTA award-winning composer and audio director Jeff van Dyck.
This charming game is available on PC, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. The official website can be accessed here. If you’re interested, check out the trailer here: