170 gr white chocolate
60 ml corn syrup
Violet food colouring
350 gr flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
150 gr sugar
1 teaspoon salt
7 large eggs, separated
108 ml vegetable oil
180 ml whole milk
115 gr grated purple/white yam
3-4 teaspoons ube extract
Violet food colouring as necessary
150 gr sugar
225 gr cream cheese, at room temperature
115 gr butter, at room temperature
640 gr sifted powdered sugar
1-2 teaspoons violet food colouring
115 gr durian meat (or other tropical fruit – coconut, pineapple, mango would work very well)
Brown food colouring as necessary
How to bake
1. Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler.
2. Fold in the corn syrup and mix until it is a homogenous and a thick paste.
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to set in a cool room for 24 hours.
4. Add a few drops of ube extract or food colouring until the desired colour is achieved.
5. Shape into horns and set aside, refrigerating if the chocolate needs to firm up.
6. Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
7. Sift together the flour, baking powder, 150 gr sugar, and salt and whisk to combine.
8. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, vegetable oil, milk, yam, ube extract and food colouring, until a deep purple colour is achieved and whisk together with dry ingredients.
9. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until light and frothy.
10. Add 150 gr sugar, and beat with the whisk attachment until glossy stiff peaks form.
11. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
12. Lightly oil 4inch(10cm) mini springform pans and fill 3/4 full with cake batter. 13. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
14. Remove the cakes from the oven, allow to cool 10 minutes, and remove from the springforms.
15. Allow the cakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
16. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter.
17. Add the powdered sugar and mix until a thick frosting forms.
18. Divide the mixture in half, and mix the first half of frosting with ube extract until it is light purple.
19. Beat together the second half with durian or other fruit.
20. Add brown food colour as necessary until the correct colour is achieved.
21. To assemble the cakes, slice the cakes in half and spread on a generous layer of light purple frosting.
22. Top with the top half of the cake, pipe on a cone of durian frosting, and press white chocolate horns into each side of the frosting.