Sometimes you come across a tv-show that you love, but which is highly criticised on the internet. For me, this is the case for Snatch. This TV show is based on the film of the same name directed by Guy Ritchie. The first season premiered (for free!) on March 16, 2017, on Sony Crackle and now the second season (also for free!) is available.
Snatch follows a group of young scaup-and-coming hustlers in London who plan to rob a truck transporting a large sum of money. But by accident they rob a truck transporting stolen gold. What is left is a cat and mouse game between them, the corrupt police and many potential buyers for the gold. Oh and don’t forget the father who is a legendary bank robber who still runs things from inside the prison.
The cast consists out of:
- Luke Pasqualino as Albert Hill, a Cockney hustler.
- Rupert Grint as Charlie Cavendish-Scott, Albert’s partner-in-crime who comes from a rich family.
- Lucien Laviscount as Billy ‘Fuckin’ Ayres, a local half-Irish Traveller boxer and Albert and Charlie’s friend.
- Phoebe Dynevor as Lotti Mott, Sonny Castillo’s moll who desperately wants out and decides to help Albert and Charlie in their scheme.
- Juliet Aubrey as Lily Hill, Albert’s mother.
- Marc Warren as DI Bob Fink, a corrupt police inspector who operates as a local crime lord.
- Stephanie Leonidas as Chloe Cohen, a local gold dealer who helps them with selling the gold.
- Tamer Hassan as Hate ‘Em, Vic’s cellmate in prison.
- Dougray Scott as Vic Hill, Albert’s father, a legendary bank robber who still runs things from inside prison.
- Ed Westwick as Sonny Castillo, a local Cuban crime lord.
- Claire Cooper as Miss Teri Dwyer, Jones’s subordinate in law enforcement and crime.
- Vincent Regan as Chief Superintendent Jones, a corrupt policeman.
- Brian McCardie as Uncle Dean, Billy’s uncle, who is the leader of a campsite of pikeys.
Because this show is based on the Snatch movie, many people compare the two. Therefore they end up looking at all the things that the movie had, but the series doesn’t, instead of finding the things that make this series great. For me personally, I think I have never seen the Snatch movie (or it is such a long time ago that I can’t remember) so for me, it is easier to see all the awesome things this show has to offer. It is funny, has a great cast and is brilliantly written. At times it is quite unpredictable with lots of fresh ideas. Just when you think one thing is going to happen, they change it all up and steer the story in a completely new direction.
So Snatch gets thumbs up from me and until I can watch season 2, I envy everyone living in the states or Canada because you can already watch the second season on Sony Crackle!