Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger may take place in New Orleans, but the divine pairing took a trip to San Diego this weekend for the San Diego Comic-Con!
Introduced by the Executive Vice President of Marvel Television Jeph Loeb, the panel also consisted of showrunner Joe Pokaski, as well as main cast members Aubrey Joseph (Tyrone Johnson, “Cloak”), Olivia Holt (Tandy Bowen, “Dagger”), Emma Lahana (Detective Brigid O’Reilly) and recurring cast member Ally Maki (Mina Hess).
Highlights of the panel include:
- The revelation that Tyrone and Tandy were not cast until very shortly before filming – but the instant chemistry between Aubrey and Olivia led to them getting the parts almost immediately.
- Joe Pokaski admitted that the now-infamous soundtrack is often written directly into the script, much like the Guardians of the Galaxy films.
- The panel dodged the question on whether Tandy would ever officially suit up in Dagger’s (famously revealing) costume – but they did joke that Olivia has stopped buttoning her top button.
- We got a blooper reel – but don’t go looking online for it just yet. DVD and Blu-Ray release, maybe?
- Jeph Loeb stated that Cloak & Dagger – as well as all current Marvel Television shows unless explicitly stated – takes place before the cataclysmic events of Avengers: Infinity War.
- The cast were asked whom they would like to see on the show in a crossover. The titular characters of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were brought up, as well as Luke Cage‘s Misty Knight and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s Daisy Johnson/”Quake”- even David from Marvel Television co-production Legion was mentioned!
But the biggest news to come out of the panel:
- A ten-episode second season was announced with a poster and tagline that tease either a possible ally or antagonist – The merciless vigilante “Mayhem”, who in the comics is the resurrected corpse of Det. Brigid O’Reilly mutated with a poisonous gas. Production begins in the fall and they will be back “sooner than you’d think”.