One of the treats mentioned that is served on Brakebills in the book The Magicians by Lev Grossman is this (nearly) flourless chocolate cake. Now although the cake isn’t mentioned (much) in the tv-show, it doesn’t mean that it holds no relevance to the series that will see its third season in 2018.
450 gr semisweet chocolate
140 gr unsalted butter, softened
9 gr unbleached all purpose flour
13 gr sugar
4 eggs, separated
Sweetened whipped cream
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 215°C or 425°F.
2. Line the base of an 8 inch or 20 cm springform pan with parchment paper.
3. Melt the chocolate gently Au bain-marie over hot, not boiling, water. This is a critical step in the preparation and should be done very slowly (or it can be done more speedily in the microwave).
4. Remove the melted chocolate from the heat and stir in the butter, flour and sugar.
5. Beat the yolks lightly and whisk gradually into the chocolate mixture.
6. Beat the egg whites until they hold a definite shape and fold into the chocolate mixture. Overbeating will ruin the cake. The beaten egg whites should be folded smoothly, quickly and easily into the chocolate mixture.
7. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat; open the oven door, leaving it ajar, and allow the cake to cool completely in the oven.
8.The cake is best served a little warm. Decorate with whipped cream. Run a long, thin knife under hot water and then slice the cake into small slivers.