When I made my TGON Bakes list for the entire year, World War Z 2 was still scheduled for release this exact day. Sadly this movie is cancelled until at least until 2018, but I don’t want you to miss this cool recipe. Because let’s face it: we all need brains to survive.
230 gr unsalted butter, softened
200 gr sugar
420 gr all-purpose flour
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
65 gr cup very finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 drops red food colouring
9 drops blue food colouring
320 gr icing sugar
35 drops red food colouring
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
4. Into a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Alternating with the eggs, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
6. Fold in the nuts, vanilla, and red and blue food colouring, being careful not to overmix the dough.
7. Place the dough in batches in a piping bag or a potato grinder and push the dough out onto the prepared baking sheets in long tubes of dough.
8. With your fingers, loosely pat and arrange the dough strands into clumps resembling brains, pushing to form 2 hemispheres and shaping into a walnut-like shape.
9. Bake until golden brown on the bottom. This will take about 12 to 14 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To make the blood glaze:
1. In a small bowl, combine the icing sugar with the food colouring to make a thick glaze, whisking it together.
2. Drizzle the ‘blood’ onto the cookies and serve either warm or at room temperature.