With the tagline “the game you couldn’t put down, the story you couldn’t make up,” it’s no surprise that many are excited about the new Tetris trailer. Released on 16 February, the trailer has already reached over five million views. Boasting an unbelievable story of drama and action, all surrounding the classic game everyone knows and loves, it’s promising to be something you’ll simply fall for.
The plot follows American video game salesman Henk Rogers and his discovery of Tetris in 1988. It follows Rogers, who risks his life to outsmart the KGB and turn Tetris into a worldwide sensation – entering a dangerous world of lies, corruption, and scandal from behind the Iron Curtain.
Rogers travels to the Soviet Union at end of the Cold War, having heard about Tetris. He does this in order to meet the inventor, Alexey Pajitnov. According to communist law, however, the game belonged to the people of the Soviet Union. In order to sell the game to the world, Rogers must negotiate with the Soviets itself to get the rights.
Directors, Cast, and Other Names
Tetris is directed by Jon S. Baird. Baird has directed films such as Filth and Stan & Ollie. Producers include Matthew Vaughn, Gillian Berrie, Claudia Vaughn, Len Blavatnik, and Gregor Cameron.
Taron Egerton plays the leading role of Rogers, previously starring in the likes of Black Bird and Kingsman (to name a few). Others include Nikita Efremov, starring as Alexey Pajitnov. Other names include Toby Jones, Anthony Boyle, Ben Miles, Igor Grabuzov, and Sofia Lebedeva.
How True Is The Story of Tetris?
Surprisingly, yes. Tetris is based on the true story of… well, Tetris. Producer Matthew Vaughn even explained in an interview how he met the real inventor of Tetris, as well as the one that went behind the curtain to bring it back to America.
Vaughn also told the Collider: “I didn’t believe it. I was like, what moron came up with this idea, making a sort of a political Cold War thriller about Tetris? And then I got told everything happened and it was real. So then I went, ‘Okay, we better make the movie then. If this really did happen, let’s make it.”
What Are Some Other Things About Tetris?
- Tetris is one of the top-selling video games of all time, according to the Guinness World Records Gamer’s Edition.
- It was also the first game to ever make it into space, according to the Guinness World Records 2014 Gamer’s Edition.
- It has even been played on the sides of buildings. In 2014, it was played on the side of Cira Centre as part of Philly Tech Week. This was arranged by Drexel University’s gaming department.
- The game is even popular with big names – with Beyonce Knowles explaining she enjoyed it while growing up and Patrick Stewart being a self-proclaimed “Tetris addict.”
- Tetris has also been referenced in many huge TV shows – including but not limited to: The Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy.
- The game has even been used for scientific medical research. It has been studied for its effects on those suffering from PTSD and brain efficiency, for treating amblyopia (lazy eye), and to help combat cravings.
When Will Tetris Be Released?
The movie Tetris will first premiere at the South by Southwest (SXSW) film festival in March. Apple will then release the film worldwide for all on March 31st. You can watch the trailer released by Apple below.
Following the trailer and everything else said, what are your opinions on the new Tetris movie? Are you as excited as we are to see it? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!