340 gr Medjool dates
480 gr brewed hot black tea
115 gr unsalted butter, melted
200 gr granulated white sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
233 gr all-purpose flour
57 gr unsalted butter
120 gr heavy cream
275 gr dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
How to bake
1. Remove the pits from the dates, then chop coarsely.
2. Place them in a bowl and top with the hot tea.
3. Let them soak for at least 30 minutes, or until the dates are soft.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Grease and line an 8x8inch/20x20cm square baking pan with parchment paper.
6. Pour the dates and tea into a blender and puree until smooth.
7. Place the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes until melted and slightly toasted.
8. Pour this melted butter into the date puree in the blender.
9. Add the sugar and molasses, and puree again for one minute.
10. Add the eggs, salt, and baking soda, and puree until smooth.
11. Pour the mixture in a large bowl and add the flour. Stir until smooth and evenly combined.
12. Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
13. While the cake bakes, make the sauce.
14. Combine the butter, cream and brown sugar into a medium saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a simmer.
15. Use a whisk to stir as it cooks, until the mixture has thickened up.
16. To serve, top squares of the cake with the toffee sauce. Sprinkle with a bit of salt on top, if desired.