Jenna Hunterson is a waitress living in the American South, trapped in an unhappy marriage with her controlling and abusive husband, Earl. She works in Joe’s Pie Diner, where her job includes creating inventive pies with unusual titles inspired by her life, such as the “Bad Baby Pie”. While pregnant she puts her hopes on winning a pie contest so she can use the money to leave her husband.
1 can condensed milk
140gr all-purpose flour
53gr + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
58gr cold butter, cut into small pieces
60ml + 120ml heavy cream, divided
60gr chocolate chips
2 ripe bananas
Cocoa powder, for dusting
How to bake
1. Turn the condensed milk into caramel.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.
3. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a large bowl and use your fingers to cut the butter into the flour until it resembles crumbs.
4. Press the dough into a 9inch/22cm tart pan, push it into the bottom and sides.
5. Use a fork to poke holes in the bottom of the tart and place it in the freezer to chill for 15 minutes.
6. Bake the tart for about 20 minutes and let it cool.
7. Once the caramel is ready, pour it into the baked tart crust and spread evenly.
8. Heat the 60ml of cream and pour it over the chocolate chips.
9. Stir until smooth and then drizzle this over the caramel in the crust and use a spoon to swirl it in.
10. Slice the banana into slices and it spread on top of the caramel and chocolate.
11. Whip the remaining heavy cream and 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar until it forms stiff peaks.
12. Spread over the pie and dust with cocoa.