Hiccup: There were dragons, when I was a boy.
— How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
150gr caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
210gr self-raising flour sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
300gr caster sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
420gr self-raising flour
250gr butter softened
720gr icing sugar mixture
Yellow food colouring
2 1/2 x 200gr Toblerone chocolate bars, cut into individual pieces
2 brown M&Ms
2 chocolate bullets
3 red jelly snakes
2 orange jelly snakes
38 orange M&Ms
6 lolly bananas
2 vanilla marshmallows
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
2. Grease a 7cm-deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan, 3 holes of an 8-hole, mini loaf pan and a 6cm-deep, 10cm x 20cm (base) loaf pan.
3. Line the base and sides of the pans with baking paper.
4. Use the first cake ingredients and with the help of an electric mixer, beat the butter, vanilla and sugar together until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
6. Stir in the flour and milk until everything is combined.
7. Spread the cake mix into the prepared 20cm round cake pan.
8. Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is cooked through.
9. Combine the other cake ingredients in the same way to create your second batter.
10. Spoon enough batter into each prepared mini loaf pan hole to fill up about 1/3.
11. Spoon the remaining batter into the prepared large loaf pan.
12. Bake the mini loaves for 20 minutes and bake the large loaf for 1 hour or until they are both cooked through.
13. Let the cakes rest in the pans for about 10 minutes before turning them out onto wire racks to cool completely.
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a bowl until it is pale.
2. Gradually add the icing sugar mixture and milk, beating constantly until combined.
1. Using a serrated knife, cut the round cake crossways in half.
2. Sandwich the cake together with a little icing.
3. Place, cut-side down, in the centre of a cake board.
4. Trim 4cm from each short side of the large loaf.
5. Use the 4cm cake pieces to create two legs.
6. Cut the remaining large loaf cake horizontally in half.
7. Cut the head of the dragon out of one of the pieces.
8. Use the other piece to create the neck and the tail.
9. Place the cake pieces on the board, trimming 2 mini loaves to form the top of the tail.
10. Use the yellow food colouring to tint the icing yellow.
11. Use the icing to secure the cake pieces.
12. Spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of the cake, using small strokes to form scales.
13. Position the Toblerone pieces along the back of the dragon.
14. Using a little icing, place 1 brown M&M on each marshmallow.
15. Position on the head to form the eyes.
16. Position the chocolate bullets on the head to form nostrils.
17. Position the snakes in front of the mouth to form fire.
18. Position 19 orange M&Ms on each leg.
19. Lastly, position the bananas to form claws.