We here at TGON couldn’t wait to see The Nutcracker And The Four Realms hitting theatres and now it is finally time! Therefore I give you this recipe to create your own adorable nutcracker cookies to maybe take with you into the cinema 😉
420 gr flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
85 gr unsalted butter, room temperature
165 gr dark brown sugar
170 gr molasses
640 gr confectioner’s sugar
95 ml warm water
30 gr meringue powder
Gel food colouring (red, pink, black, and yellow)
Edible gold glitter
Gold sugar pearls
How to bake
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, allspice, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until it is fluffy.
3. Add the molasses and mix until it is all combined.
4. Add the egg.
5. Then add the flour mixture and keep mixing until a dough is formed.
6. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
7. Remove the dough from the fridge and preheat the oven to 350° F/175°C.
8. Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap.
9. Cut out rectangles using a cookie cutter or paring knife.
10. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12-15 minutes. Then allow the cookies to cool completely before decorating.
11. Now make your royal icing by beating all the ingredients together until the icing starts to forms peaks. This takes about 7-10 minutes at low speed with a stand mixer. For stiffer icing (used for outlining), use 1 tablespoon less water. For the thinned (flood) royal icing, add an additional teaspoon of water at a time until you reach a good consistency.
12. Separate icing in bowls to mix in different food colouring.
13. Place the icing in frosting bags and decorate. For the hat, pipe on the royal icing on the top half of the cookie, then sprinkle on edible glitter while the icing is still wet. On the bottom half of the cookie, pipe on red icing for the coat.
14. Allow this all to set for 2 hours.
15. Use black icing for the eyes, moustache, and coat details then add gold sugar pearls. Use pink icing for the cheeks and mouth. Use yellow icing for the strap and coat details.