During the Harry Potter series we never really got an answer to the question what cauldron cakes exactly are or how they look. Today I’d like to give you an example of what I think the cakes taste and look like.
240 gr pure chocolate
150 gr unsalted butter
185 gr flour
300 gr (fine)granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/428°F.
2. Grease 6 lava cake moulds (around 10cm/4 inch in diameter) with butter. Beware that you’ll make one extra so this recipe is for 5 cakes.
3. Melt the chocolate and the butter together au bain-marie style.
4. Add the sugar and mix.
5. Then add the flour and mix again.
6. While you keep stirring, add the eggs and the egg yolks one by one to the mixture.
7. Add the vanilla extract and stir well with a spatula.
8. Take the batter of the heat and let it cool a little bit.
9. Evenly divide the mixture between the moulds.
10. Depending on the mould, place the cakes in the oven for around 13-14 minutes.
11. Take them out and carefully use a knife around the edges of the cakes.
12. Place the cakes on a plate and enjoy! You can decorate them with powdered sugar, whipped cream or even some red fruits.