Today the third season of Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments will premiere on Freeform! The series started out as a movie, but after disappointing reviews, it was decided to not continue as movies, but starting over as a series. These cookies you can relate to either one, as long as they taste good!
350 gr flour
50 gr dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
240 gr unsalted butter
300 gr sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
Black royal icing
Coloured royal icing
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF/160ºC.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until the mixture of the two is light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing in between each one.
5. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts.
6. Add the flour mixture and mix well until a dough forms.
7. Shape the dough into 2 discs about 1 inch/ 2,5 cm thick and wrap them in plastic wrap.
8. Refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
9. Roll out the dough to ¼ inch/0,6 cm thick.
10. Cut out round cookies and place them on a lined cookie sheet about 1 inch/ 2,6 cm apart.
11. Then bake them for about 16 minutes.
12. Allow the cookies to cool and then transfer them to a wire rack.
13. Outline the cookies with black royal icing and then fill in the centre with another colour of royal icing.
14. Allow the icing to dry for about an hour.
15. Carefully pipe the design of the runes on either wax paper, or directly onto the cookies.