Although it is not yet Christmas (only 44 days), it is never too early to start practising your gingerbread recipe! For example, to make Gingy, The Gingerbread Man who was baked by the Muffin Man and a regular supporting character in the Shrek series.
350 gr plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
125 gr butter
175 gr light soft brown sugar
4 tablespoons golden syrup
1 egg white
225 gr icing sugar
How to bake
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into a large bowl.
- Add the butter and mix with your hands or a mixer until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Then stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together in another bowl.
- Add this mixture to the flour, butter and sugar mix.
- Use the mixer until the mixture clumps together.
- Tip the dough out, knead briefly until it is smooth, wrap in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm / 1/4inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray while leaving a gap between them.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are a light golden-brown.
- Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- For the icing, mix the egg white and the powdered sugar together until smooth.
- Put the icing in a piping bag for more control.
- When the gingerbread men are cooled, decorate with the icing and cake decorations.