It’s been a few weeks now since Marvel Studio released the very first trailer for the upcoming Black Widow film. I’m sure you’ve already watched it at least once now—and if you haven’t, why the hell not?
Even if you have seen it multiple times, why not watch it again? Let’s go shot by shot and see if you missed anything!
- Trailer starts off with some nice international shots hinting at the globe trotting plot.
- Natasha looking instropective-ly into the mirror.
- We get some flashbacks to the Red Room, and other previous film moments (Avengers, Winter Soldier).
- We see Natasha in hiding, trying to be Inconspicuous. She is at a train station, likely a foreign one. I wish I was better at identifying foreign countries at a glance. Odds are that this location is Russia given where the trailer goes.
- A convoy is shown, most likely belonging to General Ross.
- Speaking of General Ross, we see him stationed outside of the convoy, which is now parked. It’s important to note how young he looks. While the film takes place after Civil War, but before Infinity War, his digitally de-aged look suggests that this scene is even further back. Likely before Avengers. Could this be in Budapest, the famous callback mentioned between Hawkeye and Black Widow in the first Avengers film?
- We see Natasha flipping through her various “lives”/identities.
- We see Natasha arrive home. Presumably back in Russia.
- Then we bear witness to an awesome fight between Natasha and Yelena (Florence Pugh). They both have had the same exact training, something that is evident as they both throw the same moves at each other.
- Natasha refers to Yelena as “sis”, implying a former closeness that the two had—obviously thanks to their past with the Red Room.
- The two of them speed away on a motorcycle. Why? We’ll just have to wait until the movie is released. If i had to guess though, I’d say that Taskmaster probably has something to do with it.
- We see Black Widow in an awesome new (old?) suit. It’s important to note that we also see Yelena wearing the same suit later in the trailer, potentially hinting at this section of the film being further in the past. Also, in the back of the shot you can see a large convoy driving by/arriving. Could this be the one we saw earlier in the trailer?
- “We have some unfinished business.” The trailer doesn’t really bring much information to light about what this could be referring to. So a lot more of the plot is being kept close to the chest.
- A really exciting action sequence is teased on a smoke stack (?) in the middle of a complex. I want to guess that it’s the same complex as the Yelena and Natasha scuffle earlier, but there’s no way to tell for sure. We also see a third mysterious figure involved in this sequence. It seems to be a female, so it is possibly Melina Vostokoff (Rachel Weisz)? And are the three of them in a scuffle, or escaping something, or someone?
- We see a mysterious, silhouetted, office. It’s unclear who is standing in it. My guess though is that it’s either Yelena or Natasha in their Black Widow garb on the left, and then David Harbour’s Red Guardian. It’s hard to tell for sure. It’s worth noting though, that this office/window layout looks strikingly similar to the area in which Red Guardian and Taskmaster fight later in the trailer.
- We get our first look at the snowy locales that feature in some chunk of the film. Is this where it all started? The line that Natasha says just as this shot is shown to us.
- We see Natasha land from a helicopter onto a minion filled bridge. She is sporting another brand new outfit—this time in all white. It looks fantastic, and probably works pretty well for blending into the snow. Until you get indoors that is.
- We see Yelena talking in an unknown location.
- We get our first new look into the Red Room.
- Someone is fleeing Taskmaster. Speaking of which, this is our first good look at him as he pops out of an armored vehicle and takes a shot from a bow and arrow. Personally, I really enjoy the design—a design that I know has garnered some disapproval. And no, this is not Hawkeye you guys.
- A shot of Yelena in that grey Black Widow outfit that we saw Natasha in earlier during the trailer.
- Red Guardian forces his way through a door in a snowy compound. I think it’s safe to assume this is happening around the same time as when we saw Natasha land in her snow stealth suit.
- Red Guardian gives us a good flex!
- He slips his helmet on, and it looks badass!
- We see everyone at the table as Red Guardian come out in his full outfit. Due to his “still fits” comment, we know he hasn’t worn it in quite awhile. So it’s a good guess that he’s coming out of retirement for whatever mission it is that they are going on.
- Family is a common theme for Natasha, and we see her Russian (past?) family all sitting down at the table together. This is something that presumably hasn’t occurred in quite some time. This also includes our first good real look at Melina Vostokoff.
- It’s important to note that Yelena is wearing the same vest that Natasha wears throughout all of Infinity War. Does that spell immediate doom for Yelena?
- Red Guardian charging at Taskmaster. If you look closely you can see Taskmaster’s shield has been forced into the ground behind them. From the looks of it, this seems like it will be a standout brawl of the film.
- Back to the snowy locale as we see an avalanche falling upon the compound.
- Yelena fires a rocket launcher out of a helicopter.
- Natasha, back in that Grey suit, jumps off something as it falls to the ground. She proceeds to glide and weave through the falling debris.
- Minions in masks take aim at her. Taskmaster related?
- Cool new title animation!
What did you guys think of the new trailer? Did I miss anything big? Leave comments down below with your thoughts!
Marvel Studios’ Black Widow releases on May 1st, 2020 in theaters.