1 white cake
460g buttercream frosting
White rum, or vodka
1 tablespoon black food colouring
Rock candy, ranging from white to dark teal/blue
How to bake
1. Cover the cake in smooth layers of fondant.
2. Cut the geode shape out of the side of the cake.
3. Spread the buttercream frosting all along the inside of the cut.
4. Mix the alcohol with the food colouring until it a shade of dark grey.
5. Paint a thin dark line around the edge of the cut with the food colouring.
6. Apply a row of piping gel in the centre of the cut.
7. Press the rock candy into the piping gel, starting with the darkest shade.
8. Continue laying out rows of piping gel and pressing in the rock candy, applying the lighter colours and smaller pieces as you move farther out toward the edge of the cut.