345g cake flour
300g granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
230g unsalted butter, cubed and softened
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
240ml whole milk
80g sour cream
3 large eggs
115g softened butter
640g powdered sugar
1 teaspoon maple extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Black gel frosting
26 Peanut M&M’s
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C).
2. Generously grease a 12×17 inch cake pan.
3. Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
4. Beat the ingredients together on low speed for a few seconds to gently combine.
5. Add the butter, vanilla, and half of the milk.
6. Mix on medium speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.
7. Whisk the remaining milk, the sour cream, and eggs together in a medium bowl.
8. Add the egg mixture in 3 additions to the other mixture.
9. Pour and spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
10. Bake for around 30-34 minutes or until the cake is baked through.
11. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack. The cake must be completely cool before frosting.
1. In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter until it is light and fluffy.
2. Add in the powdered sugar, beating on the lowest speed until all is combined.
3. Then beat in the milk, maple extract, and salt.
4. Pour the frosting on top of the cake, using a butter knife to smooth it into an even layer.
1. Using the gel icing, draw three lines longways on the cake, on the top, middle, and towards the bottom.
2. Next, place your peanut M&Ms, 8 on the first line, 9 on the middle, and 9 on the bottom.
3. Pipe a letter of the alphabet under each light.