230 gr unsalted butter
200 gr white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
420 gr all purpose flour
Any flavour jam
How to bake
1. Preheat oven to 350° F/175°C.
2. In the bowl of your mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
3. Beat in the extracts and egg.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the baking powder and salt with the flour.
5. Add this mixture a little at a time to the wet ingredients. If the dough becomes too stiff for your mixer turn out the dough onto a countertop surface. Wet your hands and finish off kneading the dough by hand.
6. Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface. You want these cookies to be on the thicker side.
7. Use a crown shaped cookie cutter to cut out the crown shapes.
8. Use pastry tips or straw to cut out decorative shapes in half of the cookies.
9. Arrange the cut-out cookies on layers of parchment paper and then place them in the fridge to cool.
10. Bake the cookies for 6-8 minutes. Let them cool on the cookie sheet until they are firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
11. Take the top layers of the crown cookies and use a small mesh strainer to dust them with powdered sugar.
12. Spread a thin even layer of jam on the bottom layers of the cookies, and then add the cut out cookies on top.