240 gr powdered sugar
230 gr butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
350 gr all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
320 gr powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
30 ml milk
How to bake
- In a large bowl, mix the powdered sugar, the butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg until well blended.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Heat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Divide the dough in half.
- On a lightly floured, cloth-covered surface, roll each half of dough 3/16 inch/ 0,5cm thick.
- Cut the dough into assorted shapes with cookie cutters, or cut around patterns traced from storybook illustrations. If cookies are to be hung as decorations, make a hole in each 1/4 inch/ 0,6cm from the top with the end of a plastic straw.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 7 to 8 minutes or until they are light brown.
- Remove the cookies from the baking and place them on a cooling rack.
- Let the cookies cool completely, for at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat all frosting ingredients until it is smooth and spreadable. Tint with food colour if desired.
- Frost and decorate the cookies as desired with frosting and coloured sugars.