It won’t be a surprise that Deadpool 2 came out last week. Everyone’s favourite anti-hero returned to the screen to cause more mayhem, make more (bad) jokes and to possibly save the world in his own way. To celebrate the return of Deadpool, why don’t you make some cake pops I’ll know he will enjoy!
What you need
200 gr butter
200 gr sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
170 gr self-rising flour
140 gr softened butter
200 gr powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ – 1 cup funfetti
454 – 907 gr of red candy melts (there’ll be some leftover)
Cake pop sticks (lollipop sticks)
Black and white fondant
Corn flour to dust
Vodka to clean (optional)
Water to stick fondant onto cake pops
How to bake
1. Line an 8 inch / 20 cm cake pan with parchment paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
3. Cream the butter, sugar and salt together until it is fluffy using a handheld beater or mixer.
4. Add the eggs one at a time and mix in between.
5. Mix in the vanilla as well.
6. Sift the flour into a separate bowl.
7. Add the flour to the butter-sugar mix and mix it in gently in 2 batches.
8. Mix until the flour is fully incorporated.
9. Pour this mix into the prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven until a cake tester/skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
10. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
1. Cream the butter with the salt and vanilla.
2. Add the sifted icing sugar, spoonfuls at a time and whisk it in.
3. Once all the sugar has been added, whisk vigorously until light and fluffy.
4. Set aside.
1. Crumble the cooled cake into a large bowl.
2. Add the funfetti to the cake crumbs.
3. Add about 240 gr of the frosting and incorporate it well into the crumbled cake using a spoon or your hands. If this mix sticks together when squeezed in your palm, then you don’t need to add any more frosting. If the mix is still dry however, add more frosting and mix it in.
4. Using a small scoop, portion out the cake pops and roll each one into a ball. Do this gently without squeezing too hard.
5. Place these on a lined baking tray.
6. Then transfer them to the freezer for about 15 minutes, and then to the fridge until you prepare the chocolate melts.
7. Prepare the chocolate melts as instructed in the package. If you’re microwaving the melts, microwave in 15 sec bursts, while stirring each time, until most of it has melted. Using a spoon, stir to melt the remaining chocolate melts. If the chocolate is too thick, add some melted shortening or paramount crystals and stir until you have a good consistency.
8. Let it rest for about 5 minutes until the melts have cooled down closer to room temperature.
9. Dip the end of a cake pop stick in the melted chocolate and insert it in a cake pop (about halfway into the cake pop).
10. Put it back on the baking tray and then repeat this with all the cake pops.
11. Next, starting with the first cake pop, dip each one in the melted chocolate coating.
12. Once you have dipped a cake pop in the coating, gently tap the hand you’re holding the cake pop with, with your other hand to shake off excess coating. 13. Stick this on a cake pop stand (or just a block of styrofoam) so that it can set.
14. Repeat this will all the cake pops and let them all dry.
Deadpool face decorations
1. Take a small piece of black fondant and roll it out thinly (use cornstarch if it sticks to the surface).
2. Choose a round cutter to cut out rounds – the cutter should be slightly smaller than the diameter or the height of your cake pops.
3. Cut out a circle or two. When you’re working on fondant, make sure you cover the fondant pieces that you’re not using to prevent them from drying out.
4. Cut out a thin strip from the middle of the black circle.
5. Next, cut out two small segments from each of the half circles.
6. Take a small piece of white fondant and roll it into a small ball. Then flatten it into a circle and cut it in half – these are the eyes.
7. Use water to stick these onto the black fondant pieces. Press it down gently.
8. Apply a little water to the back of the black fondant piece and stick it on the front of the cake pops.
9. Gently press it down along the edges to make sure it sticks well to the cake pops. Let it dry completely and enjoy!