With the recent release of Harvest Moon: Light of Hope, it is only fitting to highlight a recipe from Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. The strawberry cake is a pretty, pink, package of happiness that the nerd in you is sure to enjoy. This tasty recipe can be enjoyed by city slickers and farmers alike, all it takes is a strawberry, milk, and an egg. Even Karen couldn’t resist the recipe below.
—–Written by Blaike—–
For the cake
420 gr all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
230 gr unsalted butter, softened
400 gr white sugar
240 gr buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Strawberry Filling
120 gr chopped strawberries, stems removed
67 gr white sugar
For the Whipped Cream
180 gr heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
How to bake and make
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C.
2. Grease two 9 inch/23 cm round cake pans with cooking spray or butter and a thin layer of flour to prevent sticking.
3. In a medium-sized bowl cream together the softened butter and the sugar until the mixture appears light yellow and fluffy.
4. Add the three eggs and vanilla extract and mix again until everything is well combined.
5. Add the buttermilk and mix until combined.
6. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix again until everything is well incorporated and the batter is free of lumps.
7. Divide the batter between the cake pans.
8. Bake the cakes for 35 to 40 minutes. Use a toothpick or a skewer to check if the cake is completely cooked.
9. Remove from the cake pans and let them cool
The Strawberry Filling
1. Add the strawberries and sugar to a small bowl.
2. Mix it well, cover with clingfilm and allow to sit in the fridge for at least an hour until softened.
3. Use a slotted spoon to add the strawberries to the cake, this will prevent the water to soak the cake.
4. Place the remaining cake layer on top.
For the Whipped Cream
1. In a large mixing bowl add the cream and powdered sugar.
2. Beat it with a mixer on high power for around a minute or until the cream is fluffy. It’s important that when the mixture is lifted out of the cream, a stiff peak remains.
3. Spread the whipped cream over the cake layers until the cake is well covered.
4. Top with strawberries and additional dollops of whipped cream.