Ten years. It’s been ten years since we got our first look at Iron Man. Little did we know, that the small tale of a billionaire weapons developer turning his life around would lead to a movie on this unbelieveable scale.
Avengers: Infinity War. The hype and anticipation behind this film is unprecedented. Fans have been clamoring for their first look look at Thanos in action for months, with their jealousy of those that attended D23 and SDCC panels fueling their fire even more (unless you were able to catch the infamous leaked footage).
Well the time is finally here. If you haven’t already, you can get your first look at the beginning of the end for the MCU – as we know it – down below. If you’ve already seen it, well…you probably should just watch it again.
Kind of mind-blowing right? Well let’s take a shot by shot look at what we saw, sprinkled with some speculation on my part.
- An orange, dusty planet. Is it Earth? Maybe a future ravaged version of it? Or another planet entirely, maybe Xandar? Also, is that potentially two suns we see?
- Tony in mourning/sad contemplation. This is likely on that same orange tinted planet that we see throughout the trailer (from the first shot).
- Bruce has fallen into Doctor Strange’s Sanctum Sanctorum! This is a direct reference to Silver Surfer’s arrival in the original Infinity Gauntlet Comic storyline. Doctor Strange and Wong are there to greet him.
- Vision has a human form! He is in a room (hotel?) with Scarlet Witch. Is his Human form Vision’s doing or is it an illusion from Wanda? He also seems to have his mind stone still. They are certainly putting focus on the relationship between the two of them.
- Thor is looking out of windows into space. Is this the same ship that we see at the end of the trailer? Very likely.
- We see Bruce Banner standing next to a Hulkbuster Gauntlet. He is talking to what seems like Black Widow (the arm matches her new costume), who makes an appearance with her new look in the next shot. Their location is Wakanda, based on its reappearance several points throughout the trailer.
- Nostalgic placement of the Marvel Studios logo alongside the fantastic Alan Silvestri Avengers theme.
- Tony has arrived at the Sanctum Sanctorum. He is joining Wong, Strange, and Banner. This is probably very shortly after Bruce has landed. Also do you recognize that familiar flip phone in Tony’s hand?
- Tony is leaving the Sanctorum because of the commotion being caused outside, and the panic on the streets that can be briefly glimpsed.
- Peter Parker’s Spidey sense! Him, and all of his classmates, notice the flying ring device in the sky. We get a closer look at this device with the next shot, and we see the inside gears of it rotating rapidly.
- Now this thing in the sky, Is it a portal device? A device or engine that will lead to destruction? Maybe it’s responsible for the destruction of earth (as theorized above)?
- Tony, Strange, Wong, and Banner are seen looking into the sky (probably to the same device that Peter sees). Tony can be seen with his new arc reactor. I really have no idea why he would have a new one. The only reigning theory is that it is important to the functionality of his new Iron Man suit.
- Someone is stepping over dead/incapacitated bodies, in a destroyed environment. Is it Loki? One of Thanos’ children?
- We see Loki handing over the Tesseract – also known as the Space Stone – to someone off camera, probably to Thanos himself or one of his children (The Black Order for you comic fans).
- Thanos! His first appearance in the trailer, as he enters from a portal. One could speculate the portal is a product of the space stone. You can see ruins behind the portal, and a familiar orange tinted landscape. If you look carefully, you can see stones and other debris unnaturally floating in the background. Does this lean more to the idea that this landscape is on a foreign planet, or just the aftermath of earth thanks to those floating ring devices? Also does some of the wreckage in the background look suspiciously like Nova Corp ships?
- Spider-Man lands on the foreign device, fully decked out in his new Avengers armor! Looking good Spidey. Would also like to note that the sky is still blue behind him.
- Thor is holding together two big handles. Not a single clue what this might be, but there does seem to be a door opening behind him. Is he trying to keep or closed or open it? Maybe neither?
- Proxima Midnight throwing her spear at a shadowed Captain America.
- “Get this man a Shield.” – T’Challa (aka the best line)
- A shot of Scarlet Witch looking at something/one in distress.
- Clear look at the new Mark II Hulkbuster armor. Who is in the armor? Tony Stark doesn’t seem to be in any of the Wakanda scenes. Could it be Bruce Banner, as alluded to by the previous shot of him by the gauntlet?
- Black Widow stabbing someone with a staff, very reminiscent to a similar shot in the first Avengers.
- Doctor Strange lowering his spells.
- A huge spear like building/object falling into what looks like the area surrounding Wakanda. A massive tool of destruction from the Children Of Thanos?
- Captain America and Black Panther fighting four-armed aliens, with plenty to go around in the background. These aliens or creatures are likely The Outriders.
- Thanos smashing Spidey into the ground, pinning him down. Pete may be in over his head.
- Tony looking into the distance very distressed.
- Vision getting his mind stone pried from his forehead. The object doing the prying looks an awful lot like Corvus Glaive’s staff. Proxima Midnight may be standing next to him judging from the blue glowing spear in frame.
- Thanos placing the the space stone in its slot on the Infinity Gauntlet. The special effects look awesome, with the vacuum and then shockwave once the stone is in. Also that CGI for Thanos is nuts.
- There are two more Thanos shots, one of his groovy-chined face with fire and rubble in the background, and another with Thanos flaunting his Gauntlet, with the space and power stones in their place.
- Side note: behind Thanos flaunting his Gauntlet, can we see the same ring device from earlier? Now crashed into the ground. The sky seems blue, so that might suggest earth? Maybe they all destroy the devices in the sky on earth and this upsets Thanos, causing him to arrive via portal (but some destruction has already occurred).
- Iron Man raises his hands in both protection and fear, as Thanos uses his bare non-Gauntlet hand to beat Stark to the ground. You can feel the raw power of the hit as Stark goes limp and crushes into the floor.
- Bucky at the front lines of a Wakandian army. He seems to have his arm back. We also see Black Panther leading, with Steve and Bucky visible in the second row of soldiers. Also is that Winston Dukes’ M’Baku/Man-Ape in the back left?
- Falcon does a fly by, and you can see Hulkbuster fighting in the crowd.
- The two armies clash: Wakandians vs. Aliens.
- The money shot. Black Panther, Captain America, Bucky, Okoye, Black Widow, Hulk, War Machine, and Falcon leading the Wakandian army in a charge. Cap has some sort of Wakandian tech on his arms, seemingly modeled after the Black Panther suit itself.
- That sweet sweet logo.
- Eye-patch Thor meets the Guardians of the Galaxy!
All around, the trailer was pretty amazing and showed a lot more than anyone could have hoped for a first teaser trailer. Along with the trailer Marvel also released both a new synopsis and teaser poster for the films, which can be seen below.
An unprecedented cinematic journey ten years in the making and spanning the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, Marvel Studios’ “Avengers: Infinity War” brings to the screen the ultimate, deadliest showdown of all time. The Avengers and their Super Hero allies must be willing to sacrifice all in an attempt to defeat the powerful Thanos before his blitz of devastation and ruin puts an end to the universe.
Anthony and Joe Russo direct the film, which is produced by Kevin Feige. Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Michael Grillo and Stan Lee are the executive producers. Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely wrote the screenplay.
Are you guys excited for Avengers: Infinity War? What was your favorite part of the trailer? Be sure to let us know down below in the comments.
Avengers: Infinity War releases in U.S. theaters on May 4th, 2018.