Candy Corn Rats are sometimes seen around the Candy Kingdom in Adventure Time. Candy Corn Rats are living candy corns with vertical stripes and have rat-like features. They have black eyes and small ears. Their head is near the point and their orange noses are at the tip. Their front legs are orange and their hind legs are yellow. They also have small, thin yellow tails.
But that doesn’t mean that the Candy Corn Rats only play a minor role in the series. In the episode “From Bad to Worse,” for example, Princess Bubblegum’s lab rat, Science (a candy corn rat), plays a key role in the episode. Science lives in a cage on Princess Bubblegum’s table and is trained to perform complex scientific related tasks.
And now you can make your own Candy Corn Rats!
What you’ll need
230 gr butter, softened
200 gr sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
420 gr flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Red Food Dye
Yellow Food Dye
granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
How to bake
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat at a medium speed with a mixer until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Continue beating until everything is well mixed.
- Add the flour and baking soda and beat until well mixed.
- Line a rectangle baking tin or loaf pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into thirds.
- Press one-third of the white dough evenly into the baking tin or loaf pan. But make sure to keep a little bit behind, we’ll need this for the ears later on.
- Place another one-third of the dough into a bowl and add yellow and red food dye to make orange.
- Once it is evenly mixed, press the orange dough evenly over the white dough. Again, keep some orange dough behind.
- In another bowl, add the final amount of dough and dye it yellow.
- Press the yellow dough evenly over the orange dough, keep some dough behind.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm. This takes 2 hours till overnight.
- Once the dough is chilled enough, preheat the oven to 375°F/ 190°C.
- Flip the baking tin or loaf pan onto a cutting board.
- Cut the dough crosswise into 1/4-inch/1/2 cm slices using a sharp knife, while trimming the edges if necessary.
- Cut each slice into 6 wedges.
- Place the wedges 1-inch/2 cm apart onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Use the leftover colours of dough to make yellow tails and legs, orange legs and snouts and white ears for your rats.
- Use these parts to complete your rats.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes.
- While they are still warm, sprinkle them with sugar.
- Place cookies on a baking rack to cool completely. An optional last step could be to use some black icing to create the eyes and mouths.
Recipe & Inspiration