“This is the day you will always remember as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!” Jack Sparrow in The Curse Of The Black Pearl
Today is the day that the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean movie, Dead Men Tell No Tales or Salazar’s Revenge is premiering! So to celebrate the return of the madly brilliant or brilliantly mad Captain Jack Sparrow on the big screen, we bake Coconut Cake today!
300 gr sugar
100 gr butter, at room temperature
390 ml coconut milk
240 gr whole milk
210 gr flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
414 ml condensed milk
60 gr grated coconut
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C or 356 °F. Grease a square baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and store the whites in the refrigerator for now.
3. In a bowl, add the sugar, butter and the just separated yolks. Beat everything together until the mix is light and fluffy.
4. Add half of the coconut milk and mix.
5. Add the flour and mix it carefully in. Stir with a spatula and beat for 30 seconds more.
6. Add half of the whole milk and continue beating.
7. In another fat-free bowl, beat the egg whites to a stiff peak and transfer them to the other mixture. Mix it in with care and make sure to not overbeat.
8. Lastly, add the baking powder and mix gently but well.
9. Pour the batter into the baking pan.
10. Bake the cake for about 30 minutes.
11. While the cake is baking, prepare the topping. Mix the sweetened condensed milk with the leftover whole milk and coconut milk.
12. When the cake is ready, pierce it with a fork several times and pour the topping over the still hot cake.
13. Garnish with the grated coconut (and with a shot of rum if you like ;)).