Agents of O.V.E.R.W.A.T.C.H.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s recent episode Let Me Stand By Your Fire was written by Matt Owens, who has since confessed to sneaking several Overwatch references into the episode.
Simmons is Tracer
S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Special Advisor to the Director In Science and Technology Dr. Jemma Simmons was born in Ashburton, England. Overwatch’s Tracer Lena Oxton was born in London, England.
Matt Owens admitted that three of Tracer’s more subtle lines are spoken by Simmons throughout the episode:
- After Simmons delivers Daisy’s flash drive to Agent Albee, she exclaims “Nailed it!”, which is what Tracer says when she throws a Pulse Bomb and it sticks to an opponent.
- When Fitz asks Simmons to take pictures of their new prospective apartment, she responds with “You got it” – one of Tracer’s unlockable lines.
- Simmons runs into the newly arrived Mack and Coulson in the firework shop and says “Just in time”, which Tracer says when using her ability “Recall”.
Hellfire is Junkrat
The former mercenary, demolitions expert and Inhuman Hellfire (J.T. James) was born in Brisbane, Australia. Overwatch’s mercenary and demolitions expert Junkrat (Jamison Fawkes) is based in Junkertown, Australia.
There are several Hellfire/Junkrat parallels throughout the episode:
- James works at “Primed and Ready Fireworks”. When you select Junkrat as a character, he exclaims “Junkrat, primed and ready!”
- Trying to sell fireworks to a group of teenagers, James starts his pitch with the line “Now, stop me if you’ve heard this one before.” “Stop me if you’ve heard this one before” is what Junkrat says when he uses his Concussion Mine.
- James ends the aforementioned pitch with “This bomb’s for you”, which is another line Junkrat speaks when using the Concussion Mine.
- When James takes Daisy and Simmons to his storage unit, Daisy mentions that they should hurry because she needs to be on the move. James responds with “Huh, well that’s a nice how-do-you-do.” This is very similar to one of Junkrat’s respawn lines, “Well that’s a fine how-do-you-do, heh.”
- While looking for Daisy and Simmons among the storage units, James states “It’s a perfect night for a little mayhem”. When selecting Junkrat as a character, one of his lines is “It’s a perfect day for some mayhem!”
- After grabbing a chain from the broken storage unit and charging it with fire, James remarks“I’m on fire. Well, a little more than usual.” When Junkrat is on fire, he shouts “I’m on fire! Well, more than usual…”
- Writer Matt Owens stated that James’ weapon of choice, explosively-charged croquet balls, were specifically designed to look like Junkrat’s ammo.
- At several points in the episode, James rolls his explosives in a similar fashion to Junkrat’s Ultimate ability, the RIP-Tire.
Other Notes, Coincidences and Fun Facts
- Tracer’s Pulse Pistols resemble S.H.I.E.L.D. I.C.E.R.s, which are seen throughout the episode.
- Tracer’s Recall ability is similar to Yo-Yo’s ability to snap back to her point of origin.
- One of Simmons’ co-workers is May. One of Tracer’s idols is Mei. (This is a coincidence.)
- After being rescued by Simmons, Daisy says “Thanks for the assist”, which is common as gamer lingo.
- Overwatch’s Reaper shares his real name with Ghost Rider’s brother, Gabriel Reyes, who was created years prior for the All-New, All-Different Ghost Rider comic. Like Ghost Rider, Reaper regenerates health and uses hellfire weapons.