Summertime. It’s hot outdoors and the kids are home. They are bored or sitting in their rooms playing games or doing nothing if yours are anything like mine. If you have small kids they want to be entertained. If they are older like mine, you want them to do something. I think I have compiled a list that has something for everyone.
- The Washington State International Kite Festival is from Monday, August 16th, 2021 to Sunday, August 22nd, 2021 for those of you who are in the Pacific Northwest. It is held in Long Beach WA. Kites of all shapes and sizes can be seen during this fun week. Show off your Hogwarts house, guide Thor’s flight through the air. If your fandom is magic and myth, send a dragon or fairy, free.
2. Do you have kids that need to get energy out? Why not set up an Avengers obstacle course? They can be tailored to the age and abilities of the kids. Let them chose which Avenger they are and let them go. Maybe part of the course could be the Spiderman Swing or the Hulk Smash. There are so many possibilities.
3. Why not use chalk paint to decorate your driveway? Imagine a winter wonderland to cool off and paint a picture of Ana and Elsa. Scare away a trespasser showing them that Venom guarding the house. Is your family as tight-knit as the Addams Family? The whole family can get in on the fun and paint a scene. You can find a recipe here.
4. Up here in different cities near me in the PNW paint, hide, and collect rocks. In Tacoma, they have a thing called Tacoma Rocks and it is all about doing just that. I have participated with some Harry Dresden, Anita Blake, and magical rocks. You can decorate with your favorite series and let someone else see the magic that you see. This is another great activity for all ages.
5. Create fan fiction with clouds in the sky. You ever lay there and find shapes in the clouds? Maybe you haven’t done it since you were a kid. Create stories the add to a fandom you already have. Bonus points if you can get someone that wants to do the same fandom.
6. Show your true colors and tie-dye clothes or other stuff with colors from your favorite books, comics, anime, or whatever you choose. For me, I would choose Elena Gilbert from The Vampire Diaries, I would tie-dye a white shirt with a berry color and some dusty pink as a nod to her outfit on the first day of senior year. This is from the scene in the first book, not the TV Series. What about you?
7. Do you like the idea of gardens but don’t want the upkeep? Create a fairy garden. Or a Marvel garden. Or even a Percy Jackson garden. I am sure you can come up with incredible ideas. These can be as simple or as complex as you like. If you want you can use fake plants so there is no upkeep but use succulents if you only want minimal but, if you want a fairy garden garden, more power to you. I have a black thumb so I have fish tank plants.
8. Want the family to have a movie night but no one can agree on one movie? Have a shaving cream fight. The winner picks the movie. Get dinner and showers done and then settle in.
9. If all else fails, read something. I get inspiration from all different sources. There are so many craft books. You can find books on crafts for specific fandoms. You could also go search Pinterest for ideas. They have loads of fandom crafts. You can find TGON on Pinterest too.
Do any of these ideas sound fun? Me personally, I do the rocks and the fairy garden. My fairy garden is a work in progress. My husband and his sister have attended the kite festival. They love it. They say not only is the kite festival colorful and fun but the town is great too. Have a fun and safe summertime. Until next week…