For Pride Month, Tell Me Why is free. Until July 1st, every single episode is free to play through. Even after Pride Month is over, downloading the chapters in this timeframe means everything can be played for free. The reason for doing this is so players have access to this game, and can instead use the money to directly help trans and queer communities. More information on where they suggest money instead goes, you can read their blogpost for Pride Month here.
This narrative adventure game shares the same studio as the beloved game, Life is Strange. The game follows twins, Tyler and Alyson, as they use their supernatural bond to uncover memories of their childhood. As memories are restored, the relationship between the twins change, and shape the future of the siblings.
Tyler, one of the twin protagonists, is a trans man. There are themes of gender identity and trauma, which the game has received positive feedback for, especially with how these themes are handled. August Black, a trans man, is also the voice of Tyler. There are other characters in the LGBT community represented in game, such as Tyler himself and another character, Michael. Michael is an openly gay man in the game, and a romantic interest for Tyler. Tyler himself is questioning what his sexuality is, which is another important part of representation – showing that it is fine to be questioning, even in adulthood.
Other features include:
- Uncover the truth – Use the twins’ supernatural bond to relive and explore their conflicting childhood memories.
- Shape your Story – Influence the relationship between Tyler and Alyson with choices that will determine their future.
- Unlock even more secrets – Match wits with puzzles that deepen the story and open a window into the twins’ fantasy world, “The Book of Goblins.”
- Unique characters – Build relationships and solve mysteries through the eyes of compelling and realistic characters.
- Alaskan splendor – Explore locations set in beautiful, highly detailed small-town Alaska in stunning 4K and HDR.
Tell Me Why is free on Windows 10, Xbox consoles, and Steam. Watch the trailer for the game here: