200g caster sugar
200g softened butter
4 eggs, beaten
200g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
100g butter softened
140g sifted icing sugar
A drop of vanilla extract
170g strawberry jam
Icing sugar, to decorate
How to bake
1. Heat oven to 375°F/190°C.
2. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line them with non-stick baking paper.
3. In a large bowl, beat all the ingredients together until you have a smooth, soft batter.
4. Divide the mixture between the tins and smooth the surface with a spatula.
5. Bake for about 20 mins until the cake is golden and springs back when pressed.
6. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
1. Beat the softened butter until smooth and creamy.
2. Then gradually beat in the icing sugar and a drop of vanilla extract.
3. Spread the buttercream over the bottom of one of the sponges.
4. Top it with the strawberry jam and sandwich the second sponge on top.
5. Dust with a little icing sugar before serving.