350gr all-purpose flour
300gr granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
173gr butter softened at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
175gr Wilton green chocolate candy melts
50gr solid shortening
3 large red Airheads candies
3 large blue Airheads candies
3 large orange Airhead candies
3 large purple Airheads candies
24 large Wilton candy eyes
1 tube black cookie icing
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
2. Line a cookie/baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Mix with a whisk to evenly distribute everything and set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar.
6. With an electric mixer, cream this until it is light and fluffy.
7. One at a time, add the eggs and mix until they are all well combined.
8. Then mix in the vanilla extract.
9. On low speed, add a quarter of the dry ingredients at a time and mix until it is well distributed until everything is in.
10. Roll out the dough until it is about 1/4 inch/6mm thick
11. Using a circle cookie cutter, cut out 12 round shapes from the dough and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
12. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes.
13. Let the cookies cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to let them cool completely.
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Unwrap each Airheads candy piece and use scissors to cut each piece to fit the width of your cookies.
3. On both sides of each “mask” piece, cut a small indentation with your scissors and set them aside.
4. Melt the shortening in a double boiler.
5. Add the green candy melts and stir until completely melted before pouring it into a small microwave-safe bowl.
6. Using a spatula, ice each cookie with the melted chocolate, then place them on your cookie sheet.
7. Place the masks on your cookies. Either with the not yet hardened icing or with a small amount of cookie icing.
8. Dab a small amount of icing to the back of two candy eyes and place on each mask.
9. With the black cookie icing, pipe a smile on each turtle.