A big happy new year from me here at TGON Bakes! We start this year ( and the one year anniversary of this series) with fortune cookies. For the fortunes in the cookies, you can take any saying, phrase or quote you want. For example, quotes from your favorite tv shows or movies. You can even make some sort of quiz out of them, just take a cookie, break it open and guess from which tv show or movie the quote comes.
Just make sure your evening doesn’t end the same as in the 2016 movie Fortune Cookie. Where the cryptic fortune cookie messages become death omens for the group of friends.
4 large egg whites
200 gr caster sugar
140 gr plain flour
A pinch of salt
70 gr unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon of pure almond extract
45 paper fortunes
Vegetable oil or cooking spray
How to bake
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the egg whites and sugar, and beat them on medium speed until it’s frothy. This takes about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and salt, and beat until everything is combined.
- Add the butter and almond extract, and beat again until all is combined. This also takes about 30 seconds.
- Spoon one teaspoon of the batter onto the baking sheet, and spread with the back of the spoon into an even, thin 3-4 inch circle. Make sure to keep enough space between the cookies.
- Bake the cookies until the edges turn golden brown, this takes roughly about 8 minutes. Rotate the baking pan halfway through the time.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a heat-resistant surface.
- Working as quickly as possible, slide an offset spatula under one of the cookies.
- Lift it up and centre a paper fortune on top of the cookie.
- Using your fingers, fold the cookie in half, pinching the top together to form a loose semi-circle.
- Hold the cookie with your fingers and bend it over a side of a cup, before quickly placing it in the hole of a muffin tin.
- This whole process should take about 10 seconds.
- Once the cookie hardens, which begins to happen almost immediately, you cannot shape it anymore.
- Repeat this process until all the cookies are done.
- To speed up the process, bake three cookies at a time staggering two cookies sheets by four minutes to give you time to shape.
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to one week.