Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is coming out this week or has been released, depending on which part of the world you live in. So that is why this week’s TGON Bakes is a recipe to make little Groot Chocolate Mocha Spritz cookies!
320 gr flour
25 gr cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant espresso (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
230 gr butter, at room temperature
100 gr sugar
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
60 ml heavy cream
Black sugar pearls
How to bake:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, espresso, and salt and set to the side. Make sure you use espresso beans for this recipe (here’s a great list from Homegrounds.co)
4. Beat in a larger bowl the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg until combined and then add the vanilla.
5. Add half of the flour into the butter and sugar mixture and mix until combined. Then add the rest of the flour.
6. Lastly, stir in the heavy cream until fully incorporated.
7. Put the batter into a piping bag with a small open-star tip.
8. Pipe an asymmetrical ‘u’ (one side higher than the other) onto the prepared baking sheets, then fill it in with another asymmetrical ‘u’. Leave about an inch or a couple of centimetres between the cookies.
9. To make Groot’s eyes, make small dents where you want the eyes to be. For the mouth, you can use anything that creates a dent in the form of a small smile.
10. Bake the cookies for about 8 to 10 minutes or shorter if you’ve made them smaller.
11. Transfer to a wire cooling rack, and press black sugar pearls into the eye dents. By pressing them into the cookies slightly while they’re still hot, the pearls will stick in place. Allow to cool completely.
12. Once the cookies are cooled, use a black food writer or black icing to draw a cute little grin in place.
13. The optional final touch is to brush the top of Groot’s head with green food colouring powder. You could also use Macha for this step, but it may not show quite as clearly.
And you are done!