I was going to say that this week marks the return of everyone’s favorite medical drama television series, Grey’s Anatomy. But since there are other things going on that are apparently more important than Grey’s Anatomy (I can’t imagine that would be) we will have to wait a little longer. To sooth the pain and sadness a little, I have a Grey’s Anatomy TGON Bakes for you.
Because it is totally okay to drown yourself in cupcakes when you feel very sad!
The show is about to air the second half of its 13th season, but we are going right back to where it all started in 2005, episode eight, “Save Me”. In this episode, Izzie spends an awful lot of time worrying that she can’t duplicate her mum’s cupcake recipe. Eventually, she employs the help of a psychic and the recipe crisis is resolved. Well for this recipe you don’t need a psychic, although it might be sociable to bake with a friend. This recipe gives you 18 moist chocolate cupcakes!
What you’ll need (makes 18 cupcakes):
- 235 ml heavy cream
- 5 eggs
- 100 gr granulated sugar
- 56 gr unsweetened chocolate
- 320 gr semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 105 gr flour
- 280 gr semi-sweet chocolate
How to Bake:
1. Set oven to Preheat at 160 ℃ or 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Melt all the chocolate (minus the chocolate chips) and the heavy cream using the ‘O Bain Marie’ method. With this method, you put all the ingredients in a bowl and warm this bowl on top of boiling water in a pan. It’s important to remember that the water can’t touch the bottom of the bowl!
3. Let it sit until everything is melted and mix until smooth.
4. Put the coconut extract, eggs, and granulated sugar into a mixing bowl and combine well with an electrical mixer or by hand.
5. Add the melted ingredients and combine well.
6. Next, put the baking soda, chocolate chips, and cake flour into the mixture and on low speed combine it all. Once it is slightly mixed you can speed up a little.
7. Put the mixture into the cupcake cups, but be sure to only fill them 2/3 of the way up, they will rise.
8. Put them in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes.
The best way to test if your cakes are done is to stick a knife or a skewer into one or more cupcakes. If the skewer comes out clean, with no batter attached to it your cupcakes are done! Let them cool down before you dive down in cupcake heaven!