2 tablespoons white vinegar
120 ml milk
30 gr shortening
100 gr white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
280 gr sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-quart oil for deep frying
White candy melts
320 gr powdered sugar
37 ml milk
Dash of vanilla extract
Blue and yellow gel food colouring
Long pretzels or breadsticks
Dark chocolate, melted
How to bake
1. Stir the vinegar into the milk, and let stand for a few minutes until it becomes thick.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth.
3. Beat in the egg and vanilla until it is well blended.
4. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture alternating with the milk.
6. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to less than a finger thickness.
7. Cut into doughnuts using a donut cutter and let them stand for about 10 minutes.
8. Heat the oil in a large deep skillet to 375°F (190°C).
9. Fry the donuts in the hot oil until golden, while turning them over once.
10. Drain them on paper towels.
1. Melt the white chocolate.
2. Dip the donuts in, and let them set completely on a wire rack.
3. To make the glaze, combine the sugar, milk, and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
4. Add in the blue gel food colouring until incorporated, then transfer into a piping bag.
5. Pipe drips onto the donuts, smoothing the glaze out with a toothpick where needed. Cover one donut completely with blue glaze.
6. Use frosting or melted chocolate to secure the first donut onto the cake board and carefully stack the donuts.
7. Combine the yellow gel food colouring with the vanilla frosting to create the yellow frosting.
8. Use this to pipe on the yellow details on the top tier.
9. To make the broomstick, use a long breadstick or pretzel stick and apply a layer of melted chocolate with a brush.
10. When set, dip 1 end in melted chocolate and stick into a marshmallow in an angle so it’s leaning towards the donut tower.
11. Stack another marshmallow underneath, attaching them with melted chocolate.
12. Glue the base of the marshmallow to the other side of the cake board with melted chocolate and wedge the “broomstick” between the top 2 donuts.
13. Combine more yellow gel food colouring with vanilla frosting to create a darker yellow frosting.
14. Using this frosting, pipe long strands of icing onto the marshmallows to imitate the straw of the broom.
15. Finish it off with a ring of piped dark chocolate.
16. Pipe small dollops of regular yellow frosting where the candles will go, then stick pink candles directly on top.