Halloween is a huge nerd/geek holiday. You can dress up and be anyone you want. Book or TV or comic book characters. You can be a witch or a siren. You can even make fun pop culture. I absolutely love Halloween. I know a lot about it. It’s origins, it’s different celebrations, it’s different names, just all kinds of stuff. It is my absolute favorite holiday. I love the dressing up. I always have. I have been Barbie, Wonder Woman and a 50’s girl among other things.
As a kid I loved trick or treating as do most other kids. As an adult I love raiding my kids’ candy stash or raiding the candy I buy to pass out for trick or treating. When I was trick or treating with my brother and sister as a kid, we all had our favorites that we would trade each other for. Nowadays they are still the ones I charge my kids a “walking around fee” for.
My 10 best candies in no particular order:
- Snickers- is just a superior candy no matter how big or small
- Butterfingers- I still remember the Simpsons Butterfingers commercials!
- Nerds- is there ever a bad time for them?
- Sour Patch anything- just saying
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups- stick those puppies in the freezer and enjoy in an hour
- Tootsie Rolls- my friends always hated getting them but I loved them. I could stash them easy.
- Kit Kat- just gotta love a crispy chocolate
- Starburst- the red and pink ones are the best ones. I always traded my brother and sister for red and pink.
- Reese Pieces- the sweet peanut butter goodness could be drawn out
- Laffy Taffy- it’s much fun to eat as a cheesy pizza
My top 5 most hated, again in no particular order:
- Smarties and Necco Wafers- it’s sugar chalk
- Good & Plenty or any black licorice- yucky
- Candy Corn- If I wanted colored sugar I would use food coloring on table sugar
- Plain Hershey’s bars- I like my chocolate with a little something extra
- Pixie Sticks- more plain sugar and if you were like me you tried snorting it at least once as a kid
Granted these are available all year round, but these are my favorites at Halloween. I read this article to my husband and kids and managed to offend all three with my top 5 hated ones. They agreed with one or two but by and large I offended them which started a hysterical argument. What are your favorite Halloween candies? Let me know in the comments below. Til next week…
For your nostalgic viewing pleasure…