280 gr all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
165 gr butter, softened and divided
330 gr packed dark brown sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
115 gr semisweet chocolate, chopped
6-7 small-medium beets roasted, peeled, and processed until a puree
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
170 gr semisweet chocolate, chopped
30 gr unsalted butter, softened
120 gr heavy cream
How to bake
1. Grease a bundt pan and dust with cocoa powder.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and sift until evenly distributed.
4. Cream the butter and the sugar in the base of a standing mixer until it is light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs in one at a time and let the mixture beat for a couple of minutes until it is doubled in volume.
6. While the egg mixture beats, combine the chocolate with the remaining butter and melt it in the microwave.
7. Stir until smooth and set aside.
8. Add the vanilla extract to the eggs, followed by the espresso, chocolate, and the beet puree and mix until well combined.
9. Add the flour mixture to the beet mixture and mix just until completely and evenly combined.
10. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
11. Bake the cake for about 50 minutes or until a tester inserted near the centre comes out clean.
12. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting on a wire rack.
13. While the cake is cooling, make the ganache by combining the chocolate and butter in a medium bowl.
14. Heat the cream through gently just until it starts to bubble and pour over the chocolate.
15. Stir slowly until the chocolate melts and the ganache becomes smooth and glossy.
16. Pour the ganache over the cooled cake and let it sit 15-20 minutes before serving.