Ben Daimio: ‘I thought we were supposed to be fighting monsters, not working with them.’
Hellboy: ‘Who are you calling a monster, pal? Have you looked in the mirror recently?’
145gr cake flour
10gr natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
60gr unsalted butter at room temperature
200gr granulated sugar
1 large egg at room temperature
1 tablespoon liquid red food colouring
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
160ml buttermilk at room temperature
115gr unsalted butter at room temperature
240gr powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons milk, as needed
Raspberry gummy coins
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
2. Line two standard 12-count muffin pans with 16 cupcake liners and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Then sift the dry ingredients to remove any lumps of cocoa powder and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed for 4-5 minutes.
6. Add the egg and mix until fully combined, then mix in the oil, red food colouring, vanilla, and vinegar.
7. Mix in the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Make sure to mix each addition until just combined and be careful not to over mix the batter.
8. Evenly distribute the batter between all 16 cupcake liners in the prepared muffin pans, only filling each one about halfway full.
9. Bake in separate batches for 15-18 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
10. Carefully remove the cupcakes from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter while adding the sugar slowly a little at a time.
2. Add the vanilla, then the milk as needed and add the red food colouring.
3. Then turn the mixer up to medium-high and whip the buttercream for about 10-15 seconds.
1. Frost the cupcakes with the red-tinted frosting and press two raspberry gummies into the top for his horns.
2. Use the black icing to draw the top line of the brow and a nose coming down and a line for the mouth.
3. Using the yellow icing, pipe two small dots for the yellow of Hellboy’s eyes.
4. Go back in with the black icing and draw triangles around the yellow to complete his eyes.
5. Using the brown icing, add sideburns and a goatee, as well as a little cigar sticking out of the side of Hellboy’s mouth.