So, they went and went and came to a little table. And there on a green table was Afternoon Tea! There were hundreds of lemon-cakes on it!-Mary Poppins, P.L. Travers
115 gr butter, at room temperature
200 gr white sugar
280 gr plain flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
120 ml milk
½ teaspoon almond essence
1 tablespoon lemon zest or 1 teaspoon natural lemon essence
4 egg whites
How to bake
1. Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°C.
2. Cream the butter then gradually mix in the sugar.
3. Sift in the flour and baking powder, and stir in the milk.
4. Finally, whisk the egg whites until frothy and stir into the batter along with the lemon zest.
5. Pour the batter into mini cake pans, or cupcake pans and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Let cool and serve with a shake of sifted icing sugar on top.