It feels like yesterday that I was standing in line with my tub o’ popcorn, a gallon of soda, and fellow nerds-a-plenty for the first showing of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and now here I am talking about the upcoming release of the Blu-ray and digital download. My how time flys.
Lucasfilm and Walt Disney Pictures have announced that Star Wars: The Last Jedi will arrive digitally in HD and 4K Ultra HD and via Movies Anywhere on March 13, two weeks before the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, and Blu-ray disc on March 27. This release also marks Disney’s first title available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc in both Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos immersive audio, delivering consumers a transformative viewing experience.
The journey into creating Star Wars: The Last Jedi led by Director Rian Johnson. This is a detailed look at the painstaking tasks of creating the epic battles and the final confrontation that film nerds like me thrive to watch. But I guess the biggest draw of this release, is the massive 14 deleted scenes. There was much speculation as to why so many scenes were cut from the main film, as to what was shown in the trailers. And now, hopefully, we will have some answers, or at least the scenes will fill in some blanks.
The full list of disk features include, but are not limited to:
- The Director and the Jedi – Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie—and experience what it’s like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.
- Balance of the Force – Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.
- Scene Breakdowns
- Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle – Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.
- Snoke and Mirrors – Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie’s malevolent master villain. And much more.
- Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) – Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis’ riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.
- 14 Deleted Scenes – With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
- Audio Commentary – View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi will come in a variety of packages, including the Multi-screen Edition (includes Blu-ray and a Digital copy), the 4K Ultra HD Collector’s Edition (including 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and a Digital Copy), and Best Buy and Target retailer exclusives. The 4K Ultra HD version features the extraordinary color, contrast, and brightness of Dolby Vision High Dynamic Range, paired with fully immersive picture and sound with Dolby Atmos audio.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi, is available digitally March 13th and on Blu-Ray March 27th. Reach out. Breath. Feel the force. And reserve your copy today.