That’s right, a mere 6 months from now on November 17th, Zack Snyder and Co. unleash the DC Avengers on the world! Wait…what? Did I say Avengers? I meant the mighty Justice League of course!
But seriously, to say there is a lot riding on this would be a grand understatement as this is DC’s big counterpunch to Marvel’s Avengers films, which I don’t think you need me to tell you, have been very successful. In fact, at the time of writing this Marvel has 3 movies (Avengers, Avengers 2, Iron Man 3) in the top 10 all time grossing films and Civil War is close at 14. And DC doesn’t so…
The stakes are high and many have questioned WB’s decision to stick with Zack Snyder after a lukewarm reaction to Man of Steel and outright revolt against Batman v Superman, but they did and here we are. What should help generate some buzz, especially if it does well, is the first feature length live action Wonder Woman film coming out on June 2nd. If Gal Gadot impresses in that movie, some of those good vibes should naturally carry over to Justice League which she is of course a part of.
The first teaser for Justice League debuted at San Diego Comic Con in 2016 and the first proper trailer came out over a month ago. Predictably, fans have chosen sides with some (DC fans) loving the bold epic statement it’s making and others (Marvel fans) finding new words to describe their disgust. What caused the divide to grow even further was the simultaneous release of the new Spider-Man: Homecoming trailer that same week. Personally, I lean DC but enjoy Marvel very much, but I gotta say, between those to two trailers? Not even close. The Justice League is everything you want from a first trailer and from a comic book film. The other one looked color by numbers and predictable and creates too many comic book sins for my taste.
So many things impress me about the JL trailer from Aquaman riding the Batmobile and using it to launch himself into the air to the Lord of the Rings ‘esque images of the Atlantean/Amazonian/Apokolips to the blue lightning of the Flash.
But I digress…
The official synopsis for Justice League is:
“Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy.”
So lets take a quick look at what we do know so far…contains some spoilers so be warned:
- We know it’s getting a PG-13 rating which is normal for DC theatrical cuts. Whether there’s an R-Rated digital release down the road, we just don’t know. We also know it will have a runtime of about 2h 50m.
- We know the main villain will be Steppenwolf (Ciaran Hinds) who’s come to earth looking for mother boxes, but also expect to see Parademons, Lex Luthor and perhaps Darkseid as well.
- Zack Snyder is directing a script by Chris Terrio (Argo). Affleck and Snyder have had input as well.
- It’s no secret Superman will be back from the dead and dressed a little differently (black suit). What we don’t know is how that resurrection will take place and what role he’ll play.
- Expect a lot of team building led by Batman and Wonder Woman in first half with new comers Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg joining the league.
- Batman will have new toys in the form of the Nightcrawler and the Flying Fox which will transport the league members around, even housing the modified Batmobile.
- The rumor that won’t die: The appearance of Abin Sur giving the Green Lantern ring of power to Hal Jordan, setting up future films.
- The movie will be Cyborg and Aquaman heavy, which is no surprise because of the mother box and Atlantean story angles.
- Barry Allen (Flash) is seen visiting Henry Allen in prison…does this mean a Reverse Flash insert or simply character building for a Flash standalone?
- The movie will begin with a flashback to the great war between the armies of Apokolips and the Atlantean/Amazonian armies. This is where we will apparently see Darkseid and set the narrative.
- Character newcomers are Iris West, Silas Stone, Mera, Commissioner Gordon, Queen Hippolyta, Henry Allen and Nuidis Vulko.
- Returning characters are Lois Lane, Alfred Pennyworth, Lex Luthor and Martha Kent.
- Don’t expect Shazam or Martian Manhunter to show up.
Some interesting bits about Steppenwolf come from the man playing the classic DC villain…Ciaran Hinds in an interview with The Independent stated, “He’s old, tired, still trying to get out of his own enslavement to Darkseid, but he has to keep on this line to try and take over worlds.” And thanks to our friends at LEGO we have a small idea of one possible look for the planet-snatching villain…
As far as the first trailer goes, it is light on substance and doesn’t show Superman or any villains (minus Parademons) so there’s a lot we still don’t know, but we have 6 months to go still so expect a lot of juicy bits to leak out before then.
Till next time…
Here’s the awesome trailer again to tide you over: